Shadows Sing Side Stories Ch2. Part 4

“What!?” I replied.

“Are you going to take Mr. White’s offer?” Penny asked.

“Where is this coming from? I have not even thought about his offer. Plus, Bruce would have a cow if I did,” I said. 

“So, you have not been thinking that if you did take his offer you could talk with this Maggy person at work since we don't know where she lives,” Penny said.

“I honestly have not thought of anything like that,” I said. 

“Okay,” Penny said. 

Then the car was silent again.

“Do you think that I should consider his offer?” I ask.

The air in the car started to feel uncomfortable. I start to wish I had not asked that question. I think now Penny was trying to warn me not to consider the idea. She did not reply right away. 

“Do what you want,” Penny said hotly. 

“Penny, I don’t understand what’s going on here. Can you please help me understand why I should or should not consider Mr. White’s job offer?” I ask.

“You really can’t see it?” She asked

 "See what?" I ask.

“You know what; I don’t see it. Can you please help me understand what is going on so that I can be able to see what you see?” I replied. 

“O’ My God! It’s so obvious! How can you not see it!?” Penny bluntly said. 

“Please, Penny. I am asking for your help here. I am lost in understanding what it is that you are seeing. Can you please tell me what it is that you see?” I said trying to stuff my frustration with her. 

“You are in love with Roxanne,” Penny replied hotly.

“WHAT!? What the …Penny what would make you even remotely think that?” I responded in disbelief.

“O come on. You have feelings for Roxanne, admit it. The whole time we have been together today it has been nothing but Roxanne. You have been driving more aggressively. I am thankful we have not been in any accidents. You have been hunting for places to put up fliers like crazy. You have lost your temper over this. And at the one store when you lost it over a single flier getting torn down what was that about?” Penny asked.

"Are you kidding me? Penny our friend is missing. I would do the same for any one of our friends. I would do even more if you ever went missing on me. Even if a gang like that hot head at the store took down one of our flyers, I would not back down from making a point to find anyone, especially you," I said stunned. 

I have never even thought of Voxy that way. There is no way that I am acting any differently than anyone else who has lost friends would this situation. Am I? I think this day has been normal. Yet what is normal when one faces a situation like this? Is my behavior that strange? Am I overreacting? Was Bruce right this entire time? Is acting like nothing has changed and letting the police handle finding Voxy what would be considered normal behavior? I don't know. But I know I love Penny. She means a lot to me. Did I hurt her feelings because I was overreacting about our friends going missing?

“Penny, I love you so much. If I was overacting in my wanting to help find Voxy, I am so sorry,” I said.

"I promise that I will, from this point on, let the police do their job and I will stay out of the way," I continued to say.

    Penny’s mood did not seem to improve. She just got out of the parked car not saying a word. I wish and pray I did not mess things up with her. But I don’t know what I could have done wrong. I watch her head into her house without turning back. I still don't understand it at all. She was the first to come over. She brought supplies to make the flyers. She seemed during the time as concerned as I was. What is this sudden change in her come from? I can only hope that somehow, we can fix this mess tomorrow morning. 

    I end up heading inside my house. I told my mother how the day went. My mother promised me that little fights like what I and Penny had were normal and that we will find a way through it soon enough. She then told me about a fight she and dad had when they were first dating and thought it would be the end of their relationship. I am not going to lie. Their story did sound harder to fix than what Penny and I were dealing with. I thanked my mother and tried to unwind from the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September news about the second volume of Shadows Sing

Shadows Sing Side-Stories Ch. 4 part 1

Greeting from the Author of Shadows Sing