Shadows Sing Side-Stories Ch.3 part 2

I had one more bad experience with that rotten hair on that child. I remember that sad day clearly. I was picking Roxanne up from kindergarten. Her teacher told me that she was in the playground playing with her peers while they were waiting for their families. When we got to the playground, a boy was chasing and hitting Roxanne with a stick. Roxanne tried to keep her distance from that boy with tears in her eyes. Then when she fails to the ground the boy started beating on her and she started to wail. 

I went with the teacher to stop the boy from hitting her. When we got to her the teacher restrained the boy. I checked on Roxanne. … her hair did something, even with all my research, to this day can’t explain as I was checking her. I can only try my best to explain it. For starters, her hair had a faint light glow even though we were in the shade caused by the school building. Then I see something faint moving in her hair. I thought it was a bug of some sort, so I tried to brush them off with my hand. The moving did not stop or seem disturbed by my brushing. Nothing was in my hand. I looked at the faint moving that even to this day I can help but call shadows. The shadows were like small dots, all flowing in specific directions. Putting some distance from me and this strange hair, it looked as if her hair were blood vestals. What is more, the shadows were like blood cells flowing inside her hair. I felt my throat tighten at the sight. 

The reason in my mind at the time was that if I could see this sight others would too. I turned to her teacher and asked if she was seeing what I was seeing when it came to Roxanne’s hair. She looked at me like a doe in headlights. Then she told me that she could not see any blood on Roxanne’s head. The teacher suggested I take Roxanne to see the school nurse if I saw any physical injury on her. I did not show it on my face, but I was angry that the teacher did not seems to see what was so clear. It made me feel like I was losing my grip on reality. How could she not see the blood vain hair? How could she not see a faint glow or blood cell shadows moving inside this child’s hair? Or she was just pretending not to notice it? I know I'm not mad. I had good night sleep habits for years, eat three square meals a day, never drank alcohol, and never had drugs in my system. I was not sick so I could not in any sense of the word be hallucinating what I saw. 

Despite this anger, I thanked the teacher for her help. I picked up Roxanne and did take her to the nurse. Although, by the time we got inside the nurse’s office the glow and blood vein appearance were gone. I could not tell if I was more relieved that I would not have to see it anymore or still angry that now no one else could what I had. The nurse checks Roxanne.  She concluded that besides a few bruises from the tree branch hitting her and her fall, she was fine. I wanted to ask the nurse if she had ever seen Roxanne's hair or any other child's hair act unnatural, but I decided against it. 

The last thing I needed was for a school nurse to question my state of mind. With the glow gone the nurse would not have believed me. Geese, I would have not even believed me. If anyone else had told me that Roxanne's hair looked like a pulsing blood vein, I would have thought them mad. Since then, I could not look at that child for long. Out of fear that her hair would glow again, and I would be the only one to see it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September news about the second volume of Shadows Sing

Shadows Sing Side-Stories Ch. 4 part 1

Greeting from the Author of Shadows Sing