Shadows Sing Side-Stories Ch. 4 part 1

Chapter 4: Lady Van Schlager’s View

 

Disappointing. So disappointing that things did not turn out as planned last night. My employee Bruce was supposed to tend to his group of friends. I was supposed to get word back this morning that a thorn in my side has finally been removed. Yet no word has come despite this late hour. If things have turned out as I expected they should, I would've heard a word of it immediately this night.

I pour myself some black tea to help ease my nerves as I lounge in the ballroom waiting to hear some news about yesterday's evening. I also wonder about my son. That strong-willed child of mine and spoiled by our clan members. My son has been out a little too long this evening. It’s not like him to be out so long, the sun will be rising in a few hours. Honestly, what could that boy be possibly doing? Just as I thought came to me, I hear the front door slam shut and my son's voice rings out, "I'm home, mother.”

I leave the ballroom with my cup of tea in hand to go greet him. 

“Why were you out so late this evening Kalt?" I asked with words that get colder with each syllable. 

He looked me straight in the eye so I can see his albino eyes smile back at me. 

“I had to go talk to the police about our family’s club mother. There was a report of a young girl going missing and was last seen there,” Kalt replied. 

“And?” I replied.

“And what, mother?” Kalt replied.

“That one trip to an entire evening?” I asked not feeling convinced.

“No, I did talk with my cousins while out hunting,” Kalt replied with his back to me as he went to the ballroom. 

“Which one of your cousins? What could you have to talk about to be out so long?” I ask feeling the teacup handle start to dig into my hand with my tighten grip. 

“So many questions mother. You really need to relax more and worry less. I am an adult vampire. I don’t have to report everything I do every evening to you.” Kalt replied. 

“Kalt if you are butting into my business plans then it is my right to know what you have been up to," I said.

But before I can continue, I hear a knock at the front door. 

“You better answer that mother. It’s rude to keep your guest waiting,” Kalt said while pouring a cup of tea.  

I give my son a warning look before going to enter the front door. When I open the door, I am surprised to see Lord Van Kurt standing on the other side.  Why is he here?

“Good evening, Lord Van Kurt. Why are you visiting us at this late hour of the evening?” I ask without showing any sign of my surprise. 

“I am here to address Kalt’s inappropriate gift to my daughter,” Lord Van Kurt replied.

“Which one of your daughters was troubled by my son?” I asked.

“My youngest, Roxanne,” He replied. 

“Roxanne…her vampire blood woke?” I tried to ask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September news about the second volume of Shadows Sing

Greeting from the Author of Shadows Sing